Search & Win

Thursday, August 22, 2013

28 Days Til 30 - Fall 2013 Movie Season Preview

We're more than halfway through August and that means Fall is approaching. And with each new season that comes up on the calendar, that means a new crop of movies are going to be released into theatres. Much like I did earlier this year when looking at the upcoming Summer movies - which, by the way, I saw none of - I decided to do the same for the upcoming Fall movies using the most recent Entertainment Weekly issue as my guide.

Now I'm not going to cover every single movie coming out over the course of the next 3-4 months, that would take far too much time than I'm willing to invest in this. So I'll be covering the movies which would interest me or that I feel like touching on for one reason or another. OK, on we go!

Metallica Through The River (September 27): The movie is being described as "an action-heavy narrative that sends a roadie on a series of nighttime misadventures while the band shreds through its back catalog in 3-D close-ups". I'll pass, thanks.

Runner Runner (October 4): A thriller that revolves around poker written by Brian Koppelman and David Levien, the two who wrote Rounders which may be considered the quintessential poker movie. You have my attention.

Bad Milo! (October 4): Here's is the entire write-up of this movie in Entertainment Weekly; "In all seriousness, Bad Milo! is a demon inside Ken Marino's butt". ... I really don't know what to say in response to that.

Romeo and Juliet (October 11): I get this feeling this version will be much more subdued than the Baz Luhrman fever dream that came out in the 90s. Might be worth a look.

Zero Charisma (October 11): Apparently, this movie is about a role-playing game master who worries that he suffers from the titular problem. As long as the writers didn't decide to follow the model of "Let's makes these characters like the ones on The Big Bang Theory because that's how nerds act and people find that funny", it should be worth a watch.

Carrie (October 18): What's this? A version of Carrie where the lead actress is actually close to the character's age? Hell, the fact that a high school student is being played by a 16-year-old and not someone in their mid-to-late 20s is pretty mind blowing! All snarkiness aside, I'm looking forward to seeing this one. The novel is great and the original movie was very unnerving. I can only anticipate what they'll do with this version.

Last Vegas (November 1): OK, stop me if you've heard this one before. Michael Douglas, Robert DeNiro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline play four childhood friends who came together in Las Vegas for a bachelor party. Don't think of it as Grumpy Old Men meets The Hangover because director Jon Turtletaub might beat the crap out of you if you do.

About Time (November 1): A young man learns that all the men in his family have the ability to travel through time. Don't make your judgments just yet though, director Richard Curtis says this is "an anti-time-travel time-travel movie". It focuses less on the sci-fi aspects of the concept on more on the philosophical question: What really matters when it comes to time? This unconventional look at time-travel sounds like it's worth a look to me.

Tyler Perry's A Medea Christmas (December 13):  Please, make these Medea movies stop!

Saving Mr. Banks (December 13): A movie about the issues that occurred as Walt Disney Pictures tried to adapt Mary Poppins into a movie? And Tom Hanks stars as Walt Disney? Sold!

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (December 20): I enjoyed the first Anchorman movie. A sequel should be some more goofy fun.

August: Osage County (December 25): I heard great things about this Tony award winning play. I'm guessing this film version will be the closest I get to seeing it. No real complaints about that though, More Broadway plays should get film adaptations so that a wider audience can be exposed to them. 

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (December 25): Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig star in this movie which is adapted from a James Thurber short story about a man who imagines himself in fantastical and heroic situations in an effort to make his dull life seem more interesting. Color me intrigued.


No comments:

Post a Comment