Search & Win

Thursday, January 6, 2011

More Thoughts On Today's Pop Music

SPOILER ALERT: Once again, I don't have anything good to say about it. I'll be focusing on songs and artists that I was unfortunate enough to be subjected to over and over again during the course of the past year. And I thank the Billboard magazine website for providing a year-end chart for me to reference since I couldn't be bothered to know most of these artists or titles by memory.
 
Jason Derulo  

The one thing I noticed about his songs, besides how awful I thought they were, is that he always seems to namedrop himself not long into the beginning of song. No set-up, no context, just out of nowhere you hear "Jason Derulo!" Can you imagine how annoying that would be if it bled over to other media with people just randomly shouting out their name? Horrible!

"Cooler Than Me" by Mike Posner

OK, where to start with --

Chris McGuinness! (See what I mean?)

Now, where to start with this song? On the off-chance you're lucky enough to be unfamiliar with this song, the idea is he's singing to a girl who ignores him because he says "you think you're cooler than me." Well Mr. Posner, I don't think I'm cooler than you. I know I'm cooler than you. I'm not singing some stupid song like this on the radio.

"Like A G6" by Far*East Movement

Basic summary of the song, "Let's get wasted by drinking cough syrup with codeine". What a waste of a song. The only redeeming quality - and I use that term very loosely - this song has is one of my co-workers misheard the lyric as "Like a cheese stick". Honestly, a song about a cheese stick would be more enjoyable for me to listen to compared to this garbage.

"O.M.G." by Usher

Ugh, this song. I'll sum it up by quoting a thought I had read but sadly can not remember the source, "Just because you can rhyme 'booty' with 'boobies' doesn't mean you should". I'm no songwriter, but I can't help but agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment.

"Club Can't Handle Me" by Flo Rida

And why is that? Because you're being drunk and disorderly? Moving on.

"Rude Boy" by Rhianna

A friend of mine posted this on his Twitter when this song first became popular, "Every time I sing 'Rude Boy' by Rhianna I can't help but feel kinda gay, lol."  Well, the song wasn't written to be sung by a guy. In fact, I question why this song was even written at all. 

Justin Bieber

Honest to God, I do not understand the appeal. Actually... maybe I do. Let's try an experiment here. If you are a fan of Justin Bieber, I want you to picture him in your mind. OK, picture him singing and actually hear him sing. Got that? OK, good. Now on to the second part of this experiment. Continue hearing whatever Justin Bieber song you chose in your head. Now, envision me singing it. His voice, my face and body. Now, be honest, how many of you flinched, shuddered or recoiled in horror at that prospect? I rest my case. Since he's considered to be "so cute", he's considered marketable and popular. If he was a  213-pound guy with glasses... not so much. Screw you, shallow general public!


So now that I've got that out of my system, let's look ahead to 2011. I have a feeling I'll be subjected to even more crappy music that lowest common denominator considers "popular". Once again, this is mainly due to the fact that the radio we occasionally have on at my job is seeming eternally tuned to a local Top 40 station. If there is a bright spot to this, at least it'll give me material to blog and rant about.

No comments:

Post a Comment